2 months before
- ·Start sorting your belongings into “what to donate” and “what to keep” piles.
- ·Research your moving options, and request on-site quotes from at least three moving companies.
- ·Make a “moving” binder, which will be your one-stop source for all moving inventory, estimates, and receipts.
- ·If school districts are being switched, make sure you make the appropriate arrangements to transfer the records to the new school.
6 weeks before
- ·Order the bubble wrap, boxes, packing tape, and other necessary supplies.
- ·Start using up existing stock of cleaning supplies, frozen foods, and any other items that cannot be moved, particularly on a long-distance relocation.
- ·Make arrangements for the temporary storage of items, if required.
1 month before
- ·Choose your preferred moving company and confirm the arrangements.
- ·Pack occasionally used items, number and label each box with the intended room and its contents.
- ·Put important files and jewelry in a box, which you will move yourself personally. Also, include the mover’s estimate, as it will be required on moving day.
- ·Set aside a box with all the items required on moving day, such as small pieces needed for re-assembling furniture, tools, etc.
- ·Fill out the change of address form either at the post office or online at usps.gov.
- ·Let your credit card companies, employer, banks, insurers, and utility companies know about your move.
- ·If required, forward you and your family’s dental and health records to a new healthcare provider in advance. Alternatively, request all records from your current provider(s).
- ·Collect things you have loaned out and return borrowed items.
2 weeks before
- ·If you are changing banks, do not forget to close out safety deposits.
- ·Call the moving company and reconfirm arrangements.
- ·Dispose of any flammables such as gas, paint, propane, etc.
1 week before
- ·Switch to another pharmacy and/or refill prescriptions.
- ·Finish your general packing a few days before moving day.
- ·Pack suitcases with clothes enough to wear for a number of days.
A few days before
- ·Empty and clean your refrigerator.
- ·Once again, call the moving company and reconfirm the arrangements. Provide the exact directions to your new home, and do not forget to give your contact details.
- ·Prepare the payment for the moving company, and keep cash in hand if you plan to hand out tips.
- ·Remove the beddings, and take beds apart.
- ·Show the movers around your home and show them the things that have to be moved.
- ·Leave a forwarding address and other contact information for the new residents; after all, they could have a few questions.
- ·Walk through your home one last time, before the moving truck heads out, to ensure nothing has been missed.
- ·Before the movers leave, sign the inventory list/bill of lading and keep a copy for your own records.